Today was the 1st of two March for Babies walks on the Eastern Shore. Over 300 people walked for a 5 mile tour of Salisbury through beautiful neighborhoods and through the zoo. Many families walked with their prior premature infants, several of which I cared for in the NICU.
I arrived at 0800 to help set up the tents for the 10 o'clock walk. I was also on the NICU angels walk team. This blog will address some questions about my experience with the March of Dimes.
The people I came into contact with today begin with all the volunteers, including two local universities and their students, the local television and radio stations, the health department and the facility where I work in the NICU. All these people are dedicated to the mission of the March of Dimes, to eradicate prematurity and prevent birth defects. It is overwhelming to see the local community support for such a worthy cause. Next, is my fellow NICU co-workers. There are 18 of us in the NICU and today 10 walked and the other 8 are walking the May 7th march. This is 100% participation and dedication. A truly inspiring group of angels. Finally, the families. I was thrilled to see 10-15 families walking with their babies in strollers and in carriers for the cause. The families were thrilled to see their child's t-shirts on display and were grateful that we came out to support them and their families. Many tears were shed and thanks to the March of Dimes, research can continue to help families who have infants with birth defects or who were born premature.
While the families that came are not direct beneficiaries of today's fundraising efforts, past walks helped them in other ways during their struggle in the NICU. These families would like to give back, so they raised money by walking to meet the needs of the next cohort of preemies on the Eastern Shore. Also, money goes to local community efforts to support those children with birth defects to obtain surgeries or therapy.
Obviously, March of Dimes is nationwide, but our chapter fulfills the needs of this community with many fundraising efforts, plus support of local businesses and other activities.
The best thing that happened this semester is to see the families during the walk and their appreciation of all that we do. Many times, during the actual hospitalization, families are unable to say how much our care means because they are overwhelmed. Celebrating their children through this walk and seeing us NICU nurses out in the community helping on their behalf was very powerful to them and they stated how much they appreciated all we do.
I have learned that I can touch one life in a profound way and that those actions can be multiplied as those individuals pass it on to the next person. Today, showed just how much we can make a difference by seeing community support and action.
I will continue to do my Service Learning with the March of Dimes. The next walk is May 7th and I will be there at 0700 to help set up and to man the tents. I walked today, but may be doing other duties on the 7th. There are many events coming up to volunteer with, including the Signature Chefs Auction and the Bikers for Babies events. I love this organization and will continue with volunteering as long as I am able.
Angie,
ReplyDeleteI love the addition of the picture. Events such as this do more than raise money for the cause, it is the awareness that may be the big prize! Keep on walking!
Kathy Bradley
Hi Angie,
ReplyDeleteThe March of Dime's is a huge success in our community. The hospital where I work has many fundraising events to earn money for them. One of the favorites is paying $5.00 to wear jeans on Tuesdays and $5.00 to wear jeans on Friday. They only had one day last year but they found it to be a huge hit. You sound energized for these events! This is a wonderful way to do your service learning!
Margaret Orn
Angie,
ReplyDeleteWhat an outstanding opportunity to perform Service Learning for your patient population in the NICU! I especially enjoyed reading about the fundraising events, and the T-shirts that you created for the participants are awesome. Advocating for our patients certainly raises awareness to our communities about the cause, so keep up the great work!
Cathy Velasquez
Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I will be Marching for Babies again on May 7th! Happy Mother's Day to all my classmates!
ReplyDeleteAngie