It seems that time has gone by very fast on this last Service Learning blog post of 2011. The last six months have been so busy with our IRB, project and capstone proposal and the strategic and business plan, that I can hardly believe we are finished yet another semester.
As you all know, I am a volunteer for the March of Dimes. I have already completed over 40 hours of time, so not much has transpired since the last time I blogged about the Signature Chef's Auction. I have only been able to do two things for the March of Dimes since I last wrote. Another large fundraiser is over the November 18 through December 18 time period. This is known as the Festival of Trees and there are several activities associated with this event. Local businesses and organizations decorate trees to be auctioned off at another black-tie affair. The March of Dimes provides the artificial trees in 4 and 6 feet varieties; they also provide the string lights. Then, the groups decorate them in a variety of ways and they are auctioned off after the formal dinner. Before these trees are auctioned, they are showcased in the town center during the city Christmas parade. The fee is $3 per person and goes directly to March of Dimes. Another event is known as Ladies Night and the trees are showcased there, as well. There is one final showing during Children's Day with Santa Claus and then they are auctioned at the gala. The trees can bring upwards of $600 a piece and there are usually about 20-30 trees decorated.
My role was a small one this year since this semester has been so busy. I helped decorate the Women's and Children's Services tree. It was decorated with green, red and gold polka-dotted bows and then gingermen and gingerwomen, cookie cutters and small rolling pins. It was a 4 foot tree and we all pitched in to buy the ornaments. We then transported the tree to the city center. The gala is later this month and I hope I am able to go. I will post a picture of the tree on this blog if I can attend.
The other thing I did was send everyone I knew in my emailing list, facebook list and address book the website for signing the petition for reauthorizing the PREEMIE bill in Congress. I even posted it in our community forum in NR708 Health Policy Analysis and Development. This important bill provided funds for much needed research into the causes of prematurity and birth defects. November is premature awareness month and I hope I did a little bit to advance this important cause.
I can not begin to describe the rewarding feeling volunteering for the March of Dimes provides. I believe that all schools and businesses should promote volunteerism. There are many needs out there to serve the vulnerable populations and the groups with health care disparities. Every day I count my blessing that I have a profession that provides me and my family with health care insurance. I have learned so much during my 10 years with the March of Dimes and it amazes me the dedication the many volunteers demonstrate. I am also amazed at the ingenuity and imagination of the two directors at the local division who make the fundraisers fun and lucrative. All the money raised stays on the Eastern Shore where our local division of the March of Dimes is located. The money helps local families and also educates health care providers in our area. I am very proud and humbled to be part of this organization!
Thank you,
Angie Houck
0958383
No comments:
Post a Comment