Thursday, April 12, 2012

Final Blog March of Dimes Service-Learning Posting

Describe:  This is the final blog posting during the DNP program for my service-learning thoughts.  It is bittersweet that we near the end of our educational journeys.  It has been a wonderful experience that our service learning has only helped enrich.  I have been lucky to be able to participate in a SL endeavor that is close to my capstone project population and issues.  I have also been lucky because I was already involved with this wonderful organization and was able to continue doing volunteer work that is meaningful to my community and my profession. 
This final entry describes my activities for this last part of the semester.  Of course, I will be continuing on with my volunteer duties for March of Dimes for as long as I am capable!  Currently, teams are gearing up for the upcoming March for Babies walks.  There are 3 on the lower shore, two of which I will be volunteering for.  The other walk is during my time in Denver, where I will be participating in graduation ceremonies!  I have been doing work for our hospital team in the NICU for fundraising for these events.

Explain:  Besides individuals raising money on their own for the walk, like posting their goals on a blog or Facebook and recruiting via the old-fashioned way with pen and paper (e.g. asking for donations per mile walked) Team NICU Angels is doing other fundraising activities.  We are selling March of Dimes squares for $1 each to post on our display hall with your name or family member name.  Our theme this year is Candy Land, so the wall looks like a giant game board but with a March of Dimes baby theme.  Mother/Baby's team has used a tic tac toe theme.  We are also selling candy bars for $1 and homemade cake ball pops for $1.  We have a cute little purple decorated piggy bank for spare change on our nurse's station desk.  The Labor and Delivery Team has made a challenge to all their staff with a night shift versus day shift nurses theme.  They are raising lots of money because those girls are competitive!!  The hospital itself has teams all over the facility in different departments and they are doing other creative fundraising things.  The hospital is selling purple t-shirts (pictured) for $25 dollars each, funds 100% going to March of Dimes.  On walk days, PRMC employees will wear this shirt if they purchased one and will get one for free if they raise over $150.  I am one of the hospital team leaders and assist with recruiting and fundraising for the Women's and Children's Services team which includes NICU, Peds, L&D, Mother/Baby and the Developmental follow-up Clinic. 

Articulate the Learning:  For me, I have really learned how much the community supports this wonderful organization.  Unless you volunteer, one might not think about how much it takes to make a service like the March of Dimes work.  Not only is there a need for money, but time, ideas and a collective desire to see a better future for our children.  This is what the March of Dimes is all about.  Without volunteers helping at these events and without ideas to spur new fundraising efforts, groups like this might cease to exist.  This would be a crying shame.  The March of Dimes support research, education, parental support systems that federal, state, and local governments are not always able to provide.  The March of Dimes succeeds because of the many volunteers and national supporters.  Being involved in this organization has helped me grow as an individual, health care professional, and a member of my local community.  I look around at each event and marvel at how many dedicated people are involved and engaged in the work of March of Dimes mission.  I am a very lucky person to be part of this team:-)

As an educated, privileged citizen in our society, what is your role in creating a society rooted in equality and justice.  Do you feel you have a responsibility and why or why not?
I absolutely feel that I have a responsibility to help create a society rooted in equality and justice.  Not just because I am educated and privileged, but because I am a human being.  My grandmother did not graduate high school and had hardly any extra money, but she volunteered every weekend at a facility for mentally handicapped and challenged children.  She gave her time because that is what she could afford.  I believe we all have a responsibility to give something back and to treat everyone equally and fairly.  In my practice, I try my best not to judge as I have only walked on my journey and only know my own hardships.  Therefore, every patient I care for is treated the same, with dignity and respect.  With that said, education and privilege do help in many ways because these tools help those less able to help themselves.  Do I have more responsibility because of these privileges? Absolutely!  My role is one of leadership, mentorship, and sponsorship. 
What have you learned about yourself and what are your future plans?
I have learned that I have the ability to motivate others to volunteer and serve others for a greater good.  I have been lucky to recruit a whole team of individuals who are now ardent volunteers for the March of Dimes.  They have seen how wonderful giving to others and of the self feels and how it enhances one's life and practice.  My future plans are to continue volunteering for this wonderful organization and maybe one day sitting on the board of the Maryland chapter. 

Sincerely,
Angela T. Houck
March of Dimes supporter/volunteer 2001 to present

4 comments:

  1. Great job! It is fun to learn you can motivate others to participate in a great cause. You are truly making a difference in the lives of babies and their families. Thanks for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie, The March of Dimes is a wonderful organization and does amazing work. My daughter worked for them as an event coordinator for several years. She worked closely with the new babies and moms and raised money for these little ones. I have been fortunate enough to have been on the March of Dimes walk in Hawaii - what an exciting experience. I am glad that you are going to continue to be part of the altruistic staff you work with - you are wonderful! Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie,
    We are nearing our March of Dimes walk that is next weekend while we are at graduation also. All month the hospital I work at has been raising money for March of Dimes. We have had pay $5.00 to wear jeans on Friday (very popular!), bake sales, jewelry sales, and competitions between departments. I hope to be more involved with this next year. This was an excellent service learning project!
    Margaret Orn

    ReplyDelete