My service learning site is the Eastern Shore of Maryland Chapter of the March of Dimes. It is located in Salisbury, Maryland just down the street from where I practice professionally in the NICU.
Historically, the March of Dimes began as Franklin Delano Roosevelt's project to fight polio. Later, the mission's focus changed to fighting prematurity and birth defects. The March of Dimes current mission statement is "we help moms have full-term pregnancies and research the problems that threaten the health of babies" (March of Dimes, 2011).
The clients are premature infants and infants with birth defects and their families. The March of Dimes provides funds, advocacy and health/wellness programs, such as their folic acid campaign. They also advocate for access to health coverage and were central in the reauthorization of the Childen's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) on a federal level (March of Dimes, 2011).
The agency obtains funding through private donations, fundraising efforts and sponsorships from many organizations. Our facility is a huge sponsor for our area chapter. The Signature Chef's Auction, Bikers for Babies and March for Babies all raise funds via their sponsors and events.
I am called to work for this organization because I see the affects on families and friends each and every day that I am practicing my profession in the NICU. The families and friends struggle to understand why their baby was born early or with a profound birth defect. Many birth defects can be prevented, such as neural tube defects, with simple health and wellness initiatives that many are unable to obtain for a variety of reasons. Socioeconomic, immigration and insurance status plays a significant role in access to care. On a state and federal level the March of Dimes advocates for smoking cessation, alcohol and substance abuse prevention, immunizations, preconception care, prenatal care, supplemental food programs, folic acid use, and environmental/hazard protection (March of Dimes, 2011).
My passion is in advocacy, prevention and research for this wonderful organization. I would like to see preventable birth defects from ever happening and a significant reduction in prematurity. As of this moment, our nation scores a "D" in premature birth rates. That is completely unacceptable in the world's most powerful country.
Currently, I am a supporter, volunteer and professional for this organization. I have been active with the March of Dimes since 1999. I have been a guest speaker twice for the annual "Lighting" event to spotlight prematurity and its impact on the families in our community. I have raised funds and have organized walkathon teams. Currently, I am involved in the kick-off celebrations for the two local March for Babies walks. I have spent over 10 hours making 24 t-shirts with puff paint that are individualized with the baby's name and birthweight, plus a unique design to be displayed at the two kick-off events and the two walks. It has spurred on the family members to join our walk, so I have recruited teams as a by-product of the t-shirt making. All of the babies have been NICU graduates at my facility. I will be helping at both the kick-off events and both the walks. In the next 3 months, I will log about 40 hours of service time to this organization. I am committed to the March of Dimes for as long as I am able to contribute. Along with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, it is my service passion of choice. Efforts on behalf of this organization are seen at the local, state, national and global level. I am proud to be able to contribute!
Angie Houck
Reference:
March of Dimes. (2011). Retrieved from, http://www.marchofdimes.com/
I'm have a very soft spot for your work. I had three premature babies, CONGRATS on this service learning project, Margo
ReplyDelete