Friday, February 4, 2011

T-shirts for Tots

I am very excited because next week we are going to have a parent/sibling arts and crafts workshop for our event kick-off March 2nd.  Each year, the March of Dimes (MOD) has two walks on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, one in Salisbury and one in Assateague.  These walks are launched with a local kick-off ceremony in Salisbury and one at our hospital facility.  I will be helping out with both. 

This year, our NICU families who would like to participate and our staff (two of whom have prior preemies, themselves) will decorate onsies with puff paint celebrating the birth of their daughter or son.  Siblings will be encouraged to help, too.  The onsies can be decorated in any way, first names or initials only, birth weight, etc.  They will then be used to decorate our walk tents. 

It is so much fun to engage our families in this, especially the little brothers and sisters of these special babies.  The MOD is dedicated to funding research for prematurity.  This is one way to raise awareness and impact the future health of our babies right here at home.

Angie

2 comments:

  1. Angie,
    Wow, I am impressed with your blog and your picture!
    I didn't quite figure out how to set that up in my own template.
    My first service learning experience way back in 2003 was through the March of Dimes. I was put to work making solitation calls- not a skill of mine and I quickly found another site. Congratulations on finding a site that matches your passion!
    Now, just teach me how to enter pictures and I will be thrilled- Kathy Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! I don't have to do solicitation, they have fundraiser specialists who do that and plan events and such. I am doing things like setting up the tents for the walks, helping out with the water station for the walkers, recruiting teams and walkers, making t-shirts with our babies names and weights, so people see the local impact of prematurity and stuffing envelopes for the cause.
    I am not good at solicitation either, I can't even bring myself to sell girl scout cookies which really sell themselves, LOL!
    Thanks for your feedback. As for the pictures, when you pick your design, it offers personalization and I believe I just chose upload picture. I will get back to you because I can't see my steps from this screen:-)
    Angie H.

    ReplyDelete